Pages

January 7, 2013

HERB ROBERT

Word for the Day  Gardening is a therapy


Home  January's Challenge: BE TIDY
Still tidying up the kitchen...today's challenge is the saucepan cupboard
and the cupboard of plastic containers. It's easy to forget what one has
in those cupboards! I wonder when I will also get to tackle that
untidy garden corner?
Garden  HERB ROBERT
Herb Robert (Geranium robertianum) is an amazing 'oxygen supplying' herb, but I think that few people know of its value or know what it looks like.  I gasped aloud one day when I was reading a gardening book, and on looking at the photograph demonstrating that one should weed the vegetable patch, I could not contain myself on seeing the gardener pulling out a Herb Robert classing it as a weed!  

I learned about Herb Robert from a man called Robert (truly!) a little over a year ago and I learned that it is a supreme, therapeutic herb which has saved many a life!

I was talking to Robert in the heart of Maleny in the Sunshine Coast in Queensland.  Right at our feet one of these little plants was growing, and Robert told me that he had eaten several Herb Robert leaves a day for some period, and that it had successfully cured him of cancer. 

Some months later, I purchased some seeds online from Eden Seeds and managed to grow one plant. It flowered prolifically during the spring (see the dainty pink flower in the photo above), so on many mornings I began to carefully look for the odd seed pod which had not already scattered its 5 seeds thrusting them in all directions toward the ground. I learned to store the saved seeds in a closed container, otherwise I would soon find the seeds scattered about the place. On planting the seeds, they could take well over a month, perhaps two or three months, before germination, so I got used to planting seeds in a pot in a shady spot in the garden, watering the pot regularly, and leaving it to its own business. Now I have quite a few baby Herb Roberts.

I have eaten the fresh leaves, sometimes blending them in a fruit drink, but at present I am simply letting my small plants grow to a useful size. If I was diagnosed with cancer, I would probably follow my doctor's recommendations, but I believe that I would also be following the Herb Robert with egg yoke morning treatment discussed in Isabell Shipard's link below. 

Please read Isabell's research and knowledge of this amazing plant which has already saved many Australian lives! 



May we all find treasure in our home gardens.
 
from Robyn
 

Painting of robin by Brenda, Robyn’s mum